Friday, May 25, 2012

Fragrance Friday: YSL Opium Vapeurs de Parfum

Yves Saint Laurent Opium is one of those fragrances I've never understood.
The original Opium
A cult 1980's classic, it's heavy and sickeningly intoxicating. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in having sprayed it on myself in a perfume hall and spent the next 3 hours feeling queasy and wishing I hadn't. As much as I wanted to like this sophisticated perfume, the scent itself just doesnt't appeal to me in the slightest.

2009 Opium
I didn't even like the more modern take on the fragrance 'Belle de Opium' that came out a few years back. As beautiful as the packaging and ad campaign are, I found it to be rather unremarkable and still slightly sickly.
2010 Belle D'Opium

I was therefore bowled over to find that their new version of the fragrance 'Vapeurs de Parfum' is really rather wonderful. It's light, balmy and totally wearable with top notes of mandarin orange and pink pepper. It still retains a tiny hint of the original spicy amber and incense notes of the original that add sophistication, but it's just so much more likeable.
Opium Vapeurs de Parfum
The wear time is great, I find it lasts a good 5 hours on my skin. The frosted peach bottle is gorgeous and the fragrance itself makes me feel just a little sophisticated. Although I've read some negative reviews of this online from people who are angered at the original being altered to appeal to a larger market, I totally disagree. I love the fact that they've brought a classic scent into modern day, enabling it to appeal to a different generation of women.

YSL Opium Vapeurs de Parfum is available now, from £46.

No comments:

Post a Comment